August 19, 2014 - SPI Solar today announced its results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2014.
Second-Quarter 2014 Results:
Total net sales for the second quarter of 2014 were $6.3 million, compared with $4.2 million for the second quarter of 2013. For the first quarter of 2014, SPI Solar reported total net sales of $3.6 million.
Total cost of goods sold for the second quarter of 2014 was $5.8 million, compared with $3.3 million for the second quarter of 2013. Total cost of goods sold for the first quarter of 2014 was $3.4 million.
Total operating expenses for the second quarter of 2014 were $1.2 million, compared with $7.4 million for the second quarter of 2013. Operating expenses for the first quarter of 2014 were $1.3 million.
During the second quarter of 2014, SPI Solar entered into an agreement with a non-U.S. investor and issued an $11 million convertible bond, bearing no interest. The convertible bond includes a $10.3 million beneficial conversion feature, which was recognized separately at issuance, resulting in a discount on the convertible bond, which will be amortized into interest expense. Interest expense of $0.7 million was recorded during the second quarter of 2014.
Net loss for the second quarter of 2014 was $1.3 million, or ($0.01) per basic and diluted share. This compared with a net loss of $6.8 million, or ($0.03) per basic and diluted share, for the second quarter of 2013, and with a net loss of $0.8 million, or ($0.00) per basic and diluted share, for the first quarter of 2014.
"During the quarter, we made significant progress in strengthening SPI as a platform for growth," said Xiaofeng Peng, Chairman of SPI. "Following the close of the quarter, we completed the previously announced private placement of $21.75 million and entered into a new private placement agreement for an additional $25.0 million. Importantly, these placements will dramatically improve our financial position and balance sheet to support our ambitious global growth strategy,” continued Peng. "In addition, we continued to work toward resuming growth of our global pipeline of solar PV projects, in conjunction with the roll out of our innovative Yes!® Solar solution targeting the high-growth residential segment,” Peng added. "Finally, we established for SPI during this quarter a strong foundation for a number of other important initiatives currently underway which we plan to capitalize on in the coming quarters."
Second-Quarter 2014 and Recent Updates:
- Announced joint venture agreement with WIRCON GmbH to develop solar PV projects in the UK
- Announced that the company had entered into a definitive purchase agreement for the sale of $25.0 million of common stock in a private placement
- Entered into an agreement through SPI Solar’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Xinyu Xinwei New Energy Co., LTD. (“Xinwei”), to build and develop a 50 megawatt photovoltaic project in Fenyi County, China; subsequently announced an agreement for the sale and transfer of this project
- Announced that Xinwei had entered into an agreement for the proposed construction of a 21 megawatt project in Jiangxi Province, China
- Completed a $21.75 million private placement
- Showcased the company’s Yes! Solar brand of high-quality, low-cost solar kits for residential deployment at the Intersolar North America 2014 trade show.
Cash and cash equivalents at June 30, 2014 were $5.9 million, compared with $1.0 million at December 31, 2013.