Enel Green Power Germany, Enertrag and Leclanché inaugurated the 22MW Cremzow Battery Energy Storage System, located in Cremzow, in the German state of Brandenburg.
The system, which involved a total investment of approximately 17 million euros, is supporting the stability of the German electricity network by providing frequency regulation services to the country's Primary Control Reserve market.
"The Cremzow project demonstrates how storage is increasingly becoming an integral part of renewable energy systems due to its enabling role in making them more reliable, flexible and stable," said Antonio Cammisecra, Head of Enel Green Power. "Leveraging on our expertise in the storage segment and the fruitful collaboration with our project partners, we launched this innovative storage system which allows us to contribute to the stability of the electricity transmission network around the clock in Germany, the heartland of the European PCR market."
Jörg Müller, CEO of ENERTRAG, highlights not only the project's daily contribution to the primary balancing purposes but also its possible contribution to security of supply. "Cremzow BESS allows us to back up the renewable energy system in case a black start is necessary. Our consortium demonstrates that battery energy systems are profitable without subsidies. Renewable energy systems are mature."
Anil Srivastava, CEO of Leclanché, said: "Cremzow is a landmark project which clearly demonstrates how energy storage solutions are solving some of the key challenges faced by our electricity grids today. We are delighted to be working with forward looking partners Enel Green Power and ENERTRAG, to deliver this important energy storage project which ensures the grid's stability and reliability, with the ambition of increasing the level of renewables in the grid and reducing curtailment."
The Cremzow BESS is providing the grid with a real-time primary frequency regulation service contributing to its stability. The BESS is owned by a special purpose vehicle in which EGP Germany holds a 90% majority stake and Enertrag the remaining 10% stake. Leclanché acts as the engineering, procurement and construction contractor for the project, in charge of integrating battery and power conversion systems and energy management software.